Monday 17 May 2010

Just another manic Monday................


Just another manic Monday…………

Not the day I expected yesterday – drizzle for much of the day, the odd wave of warmth. Then late afternoon gentle rain for about an hour. I could feel the whole garden breathe a sigh of relief – by evening everything felt plumper, happier, you could almost see things growing. I did manage to evict some of the faded tulips and get some of the pots planted for summer. For one thing it’s the middle of May – but the main incentive was the thought of playing with colour – I suppose I am getting into Chelsea mode.


As with the exhibit, you start with a plant or two and the whole thing builds from there. Because some of the tulips are still in bloom they have influenced the colour scheme. I am very much in my orange and purple phase throughout the garden, and the pots are no exception. The deep red foliage of Acer ‘Fireglow’, a Chelsea veteran from 8 years ago, and still in the same pot looks great this year. I am really impressed by the resilience and tolerance of these purple leaved Acer palmatum varieties – anyone who fails with them kills them with kindness! Another favourite is Berberis ‘Admiration’. The fresh foliage on this compact, rounded little shrub glows flame, lovely with those tiny creamy yellow flowers. I grow it in a rounded dark red glazed pot – delicious! I’ve continued the orange theme with various variegated Zonal Pelargoniums such as ‘Vancouver’. These did brilliantly last year in spite of the weather. Purple nemesias, violas and osteospermums will take over from the purple tulips and a brilliant orange Diascia called ‘Pumpkin’ will intensify those fiery tones. Maybe this theme will carry on at Chelsea – could be Moroccan or Venetian – or maybe I’ll enter a new colour period and come home and change it all.

Primula ‘Francisca’ is a plant I found last year and am still madly in love with. Green with a lemon peel eye, each flower is pleated and ruffled. It flowers for ages and last season’s plants, still in their pots, are performing immaculately. We must grow this plant commercially next year – or do I really want other people to have it?

Monday Morning – clear, fresh and wonderful. On an early train to London with Chris for a day working on the exhibit. Am I excited? – Yes! That pre Chelsea exhaustion and weariness, that feeling of “Oh no – not again” has gone. The adrenalin has started to kick in – Let’s get the framework of this garden built; then we can get adventurous with plants.

Text from Neil last night – obviously pleased with the palace - If he is – I now I will be! They went to Benitos – Earls Court Road last night. The Hillier Chelsea restaurant – just like going home to the family – they are looking forward to seeing the team as much as we are looking forward to seeing them – It’s just another aspect of our emotional attachment to this crazy show!


Here's a few videos from today at the show


The paving....


The Trees ......


Tea break....................

No comments:

Post a Comment