Wednesday 16 June 2010

Turning Japanese - I really think so



Well, you never know where Chelsea can take you and my Adventure in Gardening continues at the Barakura English Garden in the mountains north of Tokyo, Japan. I'm here to lecture and celebrate 20 years of English Gardening here at Barakura - founded by The Yamada family. This is a reamarkable experience and I look forward to sharing it with you over the next few days . Here's a short video introduction:




As you can see I've run into an old friend here - Jim Keeling from Whichford Pottery. Jim has been selling his wonderful pots here for the past few years. He's quite a hero here at Barakura and really enjoys Japanese life - think I might get used to it too.



The big competition at the show is the Container planting competition. It is taken very seriously and I must say there are some magnificent and exhuberant plantings. Tracey Jim and I had the mammouth task of picking our favourite. It took quite some time - we finally agreed on a magnificent hand decorated Whichford Elephant planter in the Master class - I certainly couldn't have done anything like it - Although I did have a go at a couple. I got disqualified in the competition but Jim did claim it was one of his the following day at his Demonstration. The boy has no shame.










All aspects of England are represented here at Barakura - Fish and Chips are being prepared by our guest chefs from Rugby - Andy and Dave from the Brownsover Fish Bar, Rugby. These boys really know how to fry and this is their 8th year at Barakura and believe me those Fish and Chips are lapped up by the Japanese visitors to the garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment