Friday 18 June 2010

Opera in the Rain



I said that all aspects of British life were represented here at Barakura - Our love of Opera and Musical theatre are no exception. Esther Reilley, the incredible Scottish Singer is one of our party. Today, the first day of lectures and events she has delivered four fabulous recitals including Schubert's Ave Maria, Memory from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats and O Mio Babbino Caro by Puccini. Esther is a vivacious and passionate character who loves to laugh and sing. Just to liven things up she flooded Jim's bathroom (in the room beneath hers)by leaving her wasbasin running - We know she meant to do it really! She claims to know little about gardening but has been showing a keen interest in some of the flowers here - We'll make a horticulturist of her yet!


I know the video won't do her voice justice but perhaps it gives an idea of the action here today at Barakura.


I gave my first lecture here this morning with the help of my Fantastic Interpreter Kathy - She coped admirably despite he fact that she claims I talk a lot - I can't imagine what she means!

Then we went along to Jim's lecture and demonstration - Great fun and very lively - Nori, his interpreter kept him in order - Quite an achievement I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment