Friday 1 May 2009

Are we human or are we gardeners?



Its easy to get very passionate about plants at this time of the year - particularly when you are working with them every day. Creative containers talks in the garden centres this week really got me going on colour combinations. So much so that I can't wait to get my hands on those Chelsea plants and get creative - the whole team will soon feel the same. Rhododendrons in the gardens look fantastic - the Chelsea ones are now mostly in cold storage to slow them down - otherwise they wil be past their best by the time we get to the show. In my front garden
Rhododendron 'Nancy Evans' looks better than its ever looked this year. Those rich, soft yellow flowers with a hint of flame are just dreamy: a brilliant partner for blue and lime and stunning in a dark green glazed pot.
Earlier in the week I teamed it up with Heuchera 'Beauty Colour' with its olive and purple - brown marbled foliage - simply delicious. I intend to make the most of my time in my garden this weekend - the moments I get to enjoy real gardening are too few at this time of the year - but you can't have it all ways.

The week has seen bustling activity packing up all the props and paraphenalia we need for the show. Sue, our resident stylist, has unwrapping, packing, painting and creating before heading off with a group of Hillier holiday makers to the Welsh borders.

The approaching show has precipitated a flurry of frantic telephone calls arranging deliveries, tickets and passes for the show. There are so many details to think about and its easy to get impatient as everyone thinks their request is the most important. Red tape, protocol, complicated instructions, wristbands, badges, vehicle stickers, face masks - (hopefully for just dust) sometimes seem tobe what Chelsea is all about but lets just remind ourselves - this is a Flower Show - its about plants and gardening and I am a gardener so lets get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment