Monday 27 April 2009

Monday 27th April - Getting Creative!


A pouring wet Monday - what a contrast to the weekend - Hope it's not like this for Chelsea. Having spent the day feeling cold and damp demonstrating Creative Containers at Chichester it occurred to me that this was just how I felt during last year's Chelsea set up: not as warm as I would like to be, but inspired by putting plants together.

It's funny how you can start out with ideas of what you are going to do, but as soon as you come into contact with a selection of plants you get inspired and start creating new combinations. I really liked the mixture of the softly striped Phormium 'Gold Ray' with Heuchera 'Beauty Colour with its olive and green marbled leaves in a deep green glazed pot. I threw in a little Vinca minor 'Illumination for good measure. As ever its bright gold and green leaves on trailing stems were a crowd pleaser.

I have used a lot of Berberis thunbergii 'Admiration' recently. At this stage a young plant is a twiggy ball of glowing flame leaves studded with creamy gem-like flowers. Today I put it in a burnished red shining pot and, although I say it myself, it was a feb. combination.

Losing the Plot arrived from the printers at the end of last week. Its always thrilling to see a new book you have written in the flesh. The fact that it is a hard back book makes it all the more special and I signed the first copy today - that's two down and only another x thousand to go. Actually if everyone who says they are going to buy it are true to their word it should do very well.

I do feel slightly nauseous at the thought that one week on friday we will have started on site. Sue and I are planning a couple of days getting packed up and ready to roll this week - that's when you really start to discover what you have not done yet. All will be revealed.

Anyway the most important details are organised: champagne ordered, glasses and tables and invitations to press launch on their way to the printers - now all we have to do is build something for people to look at - simple...............

No comments:

Post a Comment