Tuesday 5 April 2011

Things are Moving .......................


The spring flowers are certainly bursting forth in the garden, and magnolias seem to have escaped frost damage so far this spring - despite a sub zero start to Monday morning.

My first tulips are out - I particularly like this vibrant Synaeda King, its glowing orange pointed blooms are glorious with rich blue hyacinths and that sparkly green and yellow Narcissus 'Rip van Winkle' . Despite the activity in the garden I've been struggling to get excited about Chelsea. So today I took a trip down to the nursery to take a look at some of the show plants.


Things are moving even faster than they are outdoors. Roses are showing buds, and even some of the rhododendrons which arrived at Brentry today ready for close scrutiny and cold storage if necessary are showing signs of colour. Horizon Monarch is always one of the first but one I really like to have for Chelsea with its soft clotted cream blooms and excellent olive-green foliage.


Some of the perennials, such as the aquilegias, Cynara cardunculus and Angelica gigas are incredibly well advanced, whereas the foxgloves are still leafy rosettes with little sign of spike. Cordylines, astelias and acers all look great and I am particularly pleased to see Acer palmatum 'Shaina' in leaf. This is a compact, upright form with slender lobes to the deep red leaves. I think this is going to be really popular for pots and containers.

Just from a quick look at the plants today I picked up a few ideas for colour combinations. I really liked the Cordyline 'Sundowner' with Astelia 'Westland' - That pink and pewter theme could be combined with the darker Acer 'Shaina' and the silver leaves af the cardoon - spike, sculptural, soft yet bold - Maybe, just maybe I'm starting to feel good about Chelsea. Watch this space - but in the meantime check out My Garden School. This is an exciting new on-line learning project - take a look at my Love your Lawn course......... http://www.my-garden-school.com/course/love-your-lawn/

No comments:

Post a Comment