Wednesday 3 March 2010

What a difference a day made



A glorious sunny day yesterday and for once I got it right - I was out amongst the plants taklking to customers. Our Cash and Carry Open day at Sunningdale - a chance to talk to landscapers and designers about plants. I was extolling the virtues of Philadelphus maculatus 'Sweet Clare' - hopefully to be shown and launched at Chelsea. I have had this wonderful plant in my garden (referred to previously by us as Philadelphus mexicanus - not sure where that came from!) for a few years now. It makes an arching rounded shrub up to 1.2 metres in height with fine stems and tiny silvery-green leaves. The blooms are carrried all along the branches in June (so will have to coax it forward for Chelsea). They hang face down like dainty white doves giving a delightful effect. The fragrance is heavy and delicious and stronger than any other mock orange I know. Needless to say after I had raved on about this plant I sold lots, and went away knowing that I have introduced a new plant that these gardeners will be passionate about - and one that will never disappoint.


Talking planting combinations and a bit about plans for Chelsea got me excited about the exhibit - must admit other things have taken my mind off it over the past couple of weeks. The only approach now is to stay calm and gradually chip away at the details - where the various features that I have not yet organised are coming from, how to tackle the practicalities of levels and construction. Today I had a session with Stu talking about electrics, lighting and the square pond. He came up with a great solution of how to construct the blue pond and suddenly it all seemed so simple. Mehrdad is now on the case with a creation inspired by Murano Glass. Tom the sculptor is on the case with my slate monoliths to sit alongside his sculpture. Next I need to get on and order the building.
As for the plants - I know Ricky will have everything well under control now he has an idea of what we are looking for in the various areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment